The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire was incorporated by an Act of Parliament in 1624,
and in 1638 the Company bought a piece of land on Church Street and built their first hall.
The present hall, the third, a Grade II* listed building, was built on the same piece of land in 1832. This is regarded as one of the finest livery halls in the north of England.
From its beginnings in the early part of the 17th century, the Cutlers’ Company has played an integral role both in the expansion of the major local industries and in the growth of Sheffield.